Saturday, October 11, 2008

Habit or Obsessive?

Sometimes I think that the new habits I have adopted over the years have become more like an obsession. I have often thought about, what if I am just obsessed with all of this? Is it healthy? I used to never get up in the morning to workout. I would do it after work and make my way to the gym. I did not work out at home at that time. I would go a couple of times a week and I was fine with that. Then I found BFL and I started doing my cardio at home in the mornings. I liked the way it made me feel. It woke me up and gave me lots of energy. Then I decided I wanted to get my workout out of the way so I started getting gym equipment a little at a time. Months went by and I like the changes my body was making and the compliments I was getting. During that time I was getting up around 5am on weight days and 5:30 am on cardio days. A few months past and I wanted more. I wanted to do more cardio add some plyometrics and maybe a little yoga to keep me flexible and injury free especially since I was playing soccer. Then things became boring so I would change them up a bit here and there but still wanted more. I met some friends who were competing and I had always wanted to do that when I was in my twenties but never knew how to get started. That was before Internet times. So I thought, there is the change I need. By then my workouts were starting at 5am no matter what because I wanted to build some muscle so I could compete. I have had trainers here and there but I know enough about this stuff and always have that I knew I could do it on my own with a little research. I decided the trainers I was using were more for motivation than anything and I need that during comp prep time and it keeps me from having to think about it. In the meantime just this year I have become so obsessed with my food I have to buy organic, I don't want any chemicals on anything, fruit, veggies, my meat has to be organic. I have switched just about everything little by little without even realizing it. My grocery bill has doubled through all of this. I go to 2-3 different stores to get what I want. If it is man made I don't buy it. I want fresh stuff. You see the pattern here? Back to the workouts, I know get up at 4:15 so I can get everything in that I need to do and cardio is 6x a week now regardless. I have to be at work by 8:00am but I am always there at least 30 min early most days. I get off at 3:15 and I come home and make dinner, eat and I am in bed by 8pm. I get up and do it all over again. I take my lunch everyday which I pack the night before. I usually spend Sunday making a lot of food for the following week. Sorry to ramble about all this but I keep thinking I have developed good habits but, have I? I mean I went from getting up at 5-5:30am and now it has become 4:15, my food has to be so, so. If I ever had to miss a workout say, the house burned down or something, I think the world would totally end! I am that obsessed! I never, ever, miss a workout no matter what! I pass up doing things with my friends because it messes up my routine. Anyone else crazy like this?

9 comments:

ColeC said...

Good habits are great to have...being obsessed not so much. If you are doing something that you truly enjoy and life is in balance with you, and others around you are not suffering, I think there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. You have to be happy with life, and if all of this stuff is doing that for you, then that is a great thing.

Lori said...

Yep, we're crazy!!! I think it's the guilt I put on myself if I miss one.

Anonymous said...

I have thoughts, but I'll be in touch :-) :-).

Matt

Kelly Olexa said...

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me I am obsessed, I'd have a bit more in my checking account. I am just as, if not more, obsessed than you. And I recognize it, but frankly I'd rather be obsessed, goal oriented and driven, than fat, lethargic, unable to move and enjoy life like the majority of our country. JMHO
;-)
K

Anonymous said...

“Obsessed is how the lazy describe the dedicated.” – A bodybuilder’s mantra

I think that says it all.

Tracy said...

I keep thinking of going organic. I just can't seem to let myself due to the costs.

Anonymous said...

As long as you are happy and your relationship don't suffer, it's not a problem. Like Colette said - it's all about the balance.

As for organic food, there was a good article about it in "clean eating" magazine awhile back. You would be surprised to know that organic food is not as clean as you would think.

C2 said...

At first I thought you were writing about how I used to be. Now I don't beat myself up over it. Granted, I don't compete and probably never will BUT I do workout every day and am healthy and to me that is the most important thing. Being healthy. But we all have different goals. :)

Love you honey.

Anonymous said...

Read my last post :) It was written after reading several blogs...I just happened across yours tonight and was like...hmmmmm????