Thursday, October 02, 2008

Whirlwind!!!!

Yep, that is what my week has been like. Our school went on lockdown today and I was in the middle of breakfast duty and the kids were just starting to arrive at school so when the announcement came I knew it was for real. Scared the crap out of me! I grabbed as many kids as I could along with a lot of other teachers. I ended up in a Pre-K room with about 20 kids of all ages. We were all crouched down in the corner trying to be very quiet as I try to calm the kids and myself a bit. There was an autistic boy and his mother in the room with us who was just arriving at school when this all happened. The little boy screamed the entire time and I just knew that we would be a target for sure because he was so loud! I felt bad for his mother, she seemed stressed. I did not have my phone on me and neither did my best friend who happened to end up in the same room with me. She is a teacher's assistant in Special Ed. We were there probably 20 min so we were starting to freak out a little bit and the kids were getting so restless. Turns out that several of the schools in the district were on lockdown too because some dude was jogging in camo clothes carrying fake plastic guns! DUH! idiot! It was all over the news and cause a lot of people to start their day out very stressful. The kids were wild the rest of the day but I was just thankful it all turned out to be a false alarm.

I was doing fitness test today with all my kids and I was testing them on their curl ups/sit-ups to measure abdominal strength. I always have other students hold their feet and count how many they do and then they can trade places. As the 4th graders were about to start I said, are you all ready? They all yelled, yes, so I started the stop watch as they started to do their curl ups. It was pretty quiet as they were giving it all they got and one kid lets out a big ol toot and I yelled out, "don't count that one" ! We all laughed so hard we nearly wet our pants. I do not usually find bathroom humor funny but when I am around kids they make me act like one. We all had a good laugh and I love it when kids are laughing and happy because when they get older life gets harder and they do not get to laugh so much. Just thought you would enjoy that story.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

WOW, what a crazy day! Bless you peeps who work with children. For I could never do it.

Good cover-up with the "toot", I'm sure that kid would have been soooo embarrassed other wise.

Anonymous said...

If only we could keep that innocence. Funny story.

I'm SOOOO relieved that the lockdown was a false alarm. How frightening. Glad you and the kiddos are all okay.

ColeC said...

Lock downs are very scary...I remember our first (and only so far) one last year.

I was laughing about that poor kid! That was great what you did though.

Anonymous said...

The main thing is you did your best in a tough situation.

Take care and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

Lori said...

Good thing it was nothing. We had the same thing but at work. As you knwo i work in a jail. well a guy was seen walking down the street with a gun adn was assumed to be coming here. We didn't know why he was assumed to be coming here, but come to find out he was a regular here at the jail and his girlfriend was here....in the same room I was in. FIGURES. They didn't find him and he didn't come here.