I woke up from a dead sleep this morning at 2am with the biggest cramp in my calf muscle. It was excruciating I tell you. I managed to rub it until it went away but it still kind of hurt today. I made sure that I stretched it really well before cardio this morning but I am worried because it feels like it is going to rupture. My 5k is in 11 days and I have a soccer game tomorrow and Saturday, geez what is a girl to do? I am gonna eat something with pottasium in it just to be sure that is not what it is and I am gonna soak in a hot bath in the jacuzzi to try and relax it.




7 comments:
I call that a Charley Horse and I get them from time to time and THEY HURT LIKE A MO-FO!!!!!!!!
=)
I HATE those!! It is from lack of potasium and/or water. You should take a potasium pill every day if you're avoiding bananas and other things like that.
Hope you don't get those any time soon ;)
If there is one food I hate, it is bananas! They totally gross me out. But I love banana bread! I think it is a texture thing. I will stick with the potasium pills if I can find them, Target did not have them.
One thing to do, that I do when in a situation like that, is don't bother to rub it, it is easier to flex your Foot towards your Face.
When you do this, it slightly pulls the Calf downwards, stretching it, which in every case of Calf Cramps I've had since implmenting this method, (which thankfully is not too often), I've achieved a quicker level of comfort, than anything else I've tried.
You should be able to do this, with your Leg flat, without having to get out of bed.
Also one thing to consider, is that cramps are sometimes contributed to, by low Sodium intake. That's not to say you should whack a load of Salt into your diet, but you might if needs be, want to consider upping your Salts a little somehow, if you feel this may have been a contributary factor.
I'm sure you'll be fine with your race, and other things. You're a strong person SJ, so don't let anything put you off your goals.
You are doing fantastically well, and as always I feel immense pride in you, and I'm with you all the way misses.
:-) :-).
Matt
P.S. you told me you had a lot of things on your mind a while back. Possibly regards your contest.
Mail me if needs be, and I'll see if there's any way I can help at all.
Take care.
Oh yes, I have decided that it is from lack of salt. I talked to my brother today and that was the first thing that he said too.
I thought about the things I eat,fresh veggies, lean meat and tuna, cottage cheese stuff like that. I do not think I am getting enough. I am sure there is some in the cottage cheese but very little. You would think with all the crap I ate on my free day it would make up for it.
Ooo, I hate middle-of-the-night calf cramps.
You might be able to buy Salt tablets, like I think people can, for when they're a bit dehydrated, to replace lost Salts through sweating or urination.
If there are any that come in a capsule form, so you don't taste it, might be worth slipping 1-2 about 1-2 hours before bed, or possibly first thing, at times when you'll remember.
Matt
Post a Comment